Meet the Matthews

Welcome to Trista and Dan's travel blog.  The purpose of this blog is to chronicle our travels and also to share with anyone who is interested what we are up to on our travels.  Travel has been an integral part of both of our lives and our relationship.  We both come from relatively sheltered upbringings in Kansas and travel has helped to shape our lives and who we have become.  Our joy in travel comes from exploring new places, eating new food, meeting new people and hopefully finding good deals that allow us to do it.  We will try to post about the good, the bad and the ugly of travel as unfortunately it isn't all smooth sailing and beautiful selfies.  You will get each of our individual perspectives on our travels.  We also both loving finding good travel deals for ourselves and for you, so if you wan't help finding good travel deals do not hesitate to reach out and we will do what we can.

While we have traveled a lot in our lives a lot of our travel has been fairly repetitive up until recently.  Think 20ish trips to Las Vegas and 10+ trips to Mexico to go to all inclusive resorts.  We have also extensively traveled North America including trips to Maui, Dominican Republic, cruises, Florida, Utah, Northern California Wine Country, etc.  Yes, those trips were great but in the last year expanding our travel to more interesting and meaningful places has been an incredible expereience.  No one is more guilty of travel to where it is safe and comfortable than us historically so this blog serves to document two people continuing to get out of the rut of what is safe and comfortable.

To introduce ourselves:

Dan - I am a second career attorney.  I have my own law practice to give me the maximum amount of flexibility to travel and explore the world.  I attended law school at the University of Oklahoma and mostly practice bankruptcy law at this point.  Prior to law school I was an Economics Professor at Newman University in Wichita, KS.

My passion for travel mostly centers around experiencing new things especially food.  I will try anything once.  While I definitely enjoy seeing the sights and checking those boxes my most memorable experiences traveling normally occur over a new beer, new food or someone I happen to meet along the way.

Trista - Hey guys! I'm Trista. I'm a nurse in an ICU and work per diem to allow for a more flexible schedule. Nursing is a great career. I get to help people through their best and worst moments in life. But... if you know anything about nursing... it can be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting. The best way to decompress for me is to get out and go! Meaning, exploring new restaurants, new places, new cultures, new activities, meet new people (though being an introvert... you'll hear from me throughout my posts how meeting people can sometimes be an obstacle).

I think I've always loved travel. Its been in my blood since I was a small child. My family took so many trips regionally and I just loved it! My parents bent over backwards to help us see the world to the best of their abilities and I just love them for it! However, finances were super limited so the furthest I ever traveled was from Kansas was to Puerto Rico.

Since meeting Dan my sophomore year in college, we found a mutual love for travel. Originally we pursued mostly regional travel in North America. However the last couple of years we have tried to branch out and do more intentional traveling. We have developed an even greater passion for discovering the whole world!

Comments

Popular Posts